Thursday, November 17, 2016

Prompt for 11/17/16

Do you ever eavesdrop?

I think everyone has been in some sort of situation where accidentally overhearing something you didn't intend to is inevitable. Perhaps you're sitting in a public place, or standing in a line, or something like that, when a conversation just happens to drift into your range of hearing. Maybe the people talking are too loud or too close, or both, and unless you move you'll be able to hear everything they say. By no fault of your own, you are eavesdropping.

This kind of unintentional eavesdropping is usually harmless and cannot be blamed on the eavesdropped. Most often if the conversation is easy to accidentally listen into, then the speakers probably aren't too concerned about keeping the contents of the conversation private. Most people don't care if others hear about the mundane aspects of their life or work. Who cares if the random person sitting next to you on the bus learns that you had a great muffin for breakfast, right? The person sitting next to you probably doesn't care either.

However, I've been in situations where being an eavesdropper has been irritating and/or unpleasant. One time I was at the public library, minding my own business at a table while studying for an upcoming test. Two people happened to be sitting nearby, and started having an animated conversation about each others' lives. It doesn't improve one's mood to have the stress of cramming material while being regaled with a long, unwanted story of how some stranger met their husband. I moved to end my eavesdropping not out of concern for their privacy, but for my grade. That time, I was fortunate enough to even be able to leave. When I used to take a morning bus, there'd be dozens of middle schoolers on it as well. Snippets of their loud conversations were impossible to filter out. I've been treated to gems such as "Is baby powder made out of babies?" that definitely didn't make me lose faith in humanity.

So far, any eavesdropping I've taken part in has been mostly accidental, and has never picked up anything secret or important. Besides, most of the important stuff nowadays isn't something you can just listen in on when you want to.  

1 comment:

  1. I like this droll perspective on eavesdropping. The humor scattered throughout the essay works effectively in conveying your attitude, and I can clearly understand your point. To improve the essay, I'd suggest adding a little more reflection, like maybe how you would feel if you were eavesdropped on, or what you think about intentional eavesdropping. Overall, I like the tone of the essay and your practical perspective on eavesdropping.

    ReplyDelete