1. Have
you ever felt embarrassed by the things that you used to like?
Often times, my mind will wander to the past and I'll mentally scroll
through a list of things I used to like or have fun doing. As I take
the time to contemplate on younger versions of myself, every time I inevitably
end up asking myself the same thing:
"What the hell was wrong with me?"
Some
of the first things that comes to mind are all the terrible games I used to
love playing. From pointless little flash games with graphics seemingly taken
from the eighties to productions from big companies designed to consume your
money and/or time (always the latter for me, considering how cheap I am), I was
easily sucked into them. I spent almost two years of middle school playing "Battle Pirates," an MMOG created by a company notorious for money-grubbing and repetitive gameplay with long waits for in-game achievements that trapped players; I fell for it completely. The worst part was, it wouldn't be my first time falling prey to this type of game, or even my first time falling prey to a game by the exact same company. As
if simply remembering all these crappy games wasn't enough, reminders that I
had played them are plastered over my Facebook wall and notifications. My past
posts about these games are less easily found, but I still get notifications
and spam email from them (perhaps I'm also too lazy to just simply block them).
In addition to the games I used to play, there’s also the assortment of cartoons and TV shows I used to scramble up early in the morning to watch on Saturdays when I was a kid. Recalling the often silly and poorly written stories I used to think were great is usually enough to get me to squirm in discomfort. Once again, I ask myself why in the world I would ever had enjoyed something like that.
In addition to the games I used to play, there’s also the assortment of cartoons and TV shows I used to scramble up early in the morning to watch on Saturdays when I was a kid. Recalling the often silly and poorly written stories I used to think were great is usually enough to get me to squirm in discomfort. Once again, I ask myself why in the world I would ever had enjoyed something like that.
When it comes to embarrassment over these games and shows,
there are probably two factors my current self is instinctively considering; the
fact that I spent all that time playing and viewing said games and shows, and the fact that I wasted all that time
on things I now find dumb. Right now, though, it’s obvious that I’ve only dropped
one of those factors; I still waste time (that could’ve been spent doing
something productive) on games and shows and movies, albeit I waste my time on games
with more sophistication and shows or movies with better story-lines and
execution. If you criticized these things I enjoy now, I’d most likely
jump to defend my current time-wasters as “tasteful hobbies.” I can’t deny I
haven’t ever debated the merits of certain games and shows with other people. At the very least, I seemed to have learned somewhat from my shameful two years of playing "Battle Pirates"; I'm now extremely wary of any game that has a design that screams "time and/or money waster" (the signs are blatantly obvious), and I've probably saved myself hours and hours by refusing to play Clash of Clans despite encouragement from friends.
Funnily enough, my embarrassment essentially stems from my current
self looking on the interests of my past self with great condescension. Perhaps
it’s the adolescent eagerness to leave one’s childishness as far behind as possible,
as quickly as possible, that drives this. So, to reiterate my answer: yes, I am
embarrassed by what I used to like. A simple reason I might give would just be “what
I used to enjoy was stupid.” But stupid from my current teenage perspective. Inevitably,
people change and leave things behind. My embarrassment is quite likely the
result of my mind subtly assuring itself that it has changed for the better,
that what I enjoy now is “higher-tier”, if you will. Undoubtedly, my adult self
will view my present self with the same embarrassment, eager to leave behind
the dumb decisions that come with being a teen.
nice
ReplyDeleteI like the extent to which you reflect on the topic and the element of self deprecation which you include. Some of the phrasing is a bit weird imo (the first sentence mostly) but it doesn't really detract from the essay. Nice
This was a pretty good essay. Your voice remained consistent throughout, and it was conversational to just the right extent. It did, however, seem kind of unorganized. Nice job, tho
ReplyDeleteIt's a good essay. The penultimate paragraph, where the author admits that they still waste time, is very honest (although it does have a typo in the first sentence: self is singular, so uses "is"). I really don't have anything else to say that hasn't been said by Jerry (i.e. the odd phrasing).
ReplyDelete-Reed
I could really get a feel for your narrative voice, which was great. I really liked how you not only brought up some past activities that embarrass you, but also analyzed why they do. The "wasting time" part is especially relatable. Also, "Perhaps it’s the adolescent eagerness to leave one’s childishness as far behind as possible" is just a really great sentence, as it's so flowy.
ReplyDelete